Call for Papers
ISAAC 2014 Paper Submission Guidelines:
Descobrir a Comunicação – Discover Communication
Thank you for your submissions for the 16th Biennial Conference of ISAAC, taking place in in Lisbon from July 19th through July 24th, 2014. The opening date for submissions was June 3rd, 2013 (18:00 GMT) and the closing date was November 15th, 2013 (18:00 GMT). Applicants will be notified of acceptance by February 15th, 2014. The online submission system is now closed to new submissions.
The conference theme is “Descobrir a Comunicação — Discover Communication”. People who use AAC and their families, as well as people who work with them in the field of AAC, are continually making important discoveries in relation to communication every day. In Lisbon, we will showcase many such discoveries, and also celebrate the history of ISAAC and AAC, which has changed enormously in the last 30 years, and will continue to develop into the future.
Although the main language of the conference is English, papers will be accepted in both English and Portuguese. The Conference 2014 organizers will make every effort to offer as many sessions as possible in both languages. Portuguese papers must submit a Short Abstract in both English and Portuguese, with the Long or Extended Abstract submitted in Portuguese only.
Three (3) STREAMS
1. Perspectives, experiences, and engagement of consumers and families.
2. AAC Clinical Practices, and Professional Education.
3. Research and Development to inform the field of AAC.
Four (4) CONTENT FOCUS AREAS
A. Living Successfully With Complex Communication Needs
B. Building activity and participation through AAC
C. Creative Directions in AAC Practice
D. Development in AAC
Proposals will be selected based on relevance, scientific quality, content area, importance, and program balance. Only unpublished abstracts may be submitted, and those deemed to be submitted solely for marketing purposes will not be accepted
All program presenters are expected to follow ethical procedures to protect the privacy and confidentiality of people mentioned in their presentations. Images and likenesses including audio recordings and photographs or video data must only be used with the permission of the person depicted. Real names or initials must only be used with participant’s permission; otherwise pseudonyms stated as not being the person’s real name must be used.
ISAAC will own the copyright of all abstracts accepted for the conference. The short abstracts will be published in the Conference Final Program, and the extended abstracts will be published in the Conference Proceedings. Both will be provided to all Main Conference registrants during the event. Authors accepted to the program are expected to register their attendance for the event.
To Submit a Proposal
A link will be available on this page as of June 3 (1800 GMT) that will enable you to submit a proposal online.
Please note that your computer will need to have Java installed to use the online submission system.
You will be asked to provide the following MANDATORY information:
- Submission Title (maximum 15 words)
- Author(s) First Name
- Author(s) Last Name
- Author(s) Affiliation (University, Company, etc.)
- Primary Author Country of Residence
- Primary Author email address
- Primary Author Additional Contact Information (address, telephone, etc.)
- Presenting Author(s)
- Paper Stream(s) – see above
- Paper Content Focus Area(s) – see above
- Paper Key phrase(s) – see above
- Paper Presentation Preference(s): 2 hour workshop (limited availability), 60 minute interactive workshop (limited availability), 30 minute platform presentation (20 minutes presentation + 10 minutes questions), and/or Poster presentation.
- Additional Comments or Requirements —
- Workshop Submissions to Note: Aim of workshops, Learning goals for participants, Activities in workshop, Layout of room (lecture or tables)
- All submissions to identify: A/V Equipment Needs, Presenter Accessibility Needs, etc
NOTE: Do not include any identifying information in the extended abstract. Papers containing identifying information will be returned to the author(s) as non-reviewable. Author(s) solely responsible for removing identifying information and re-submitting returned papers.
AUTHORS MUST INCLUDE ONE OF THESE STATEMENTS IN THEIR LONG ABSTRACT:
Declaration of Interest Statement
- The authors disclose they have no financial or other interest in objects or entities mentioned in this paper.
- The authors disclose they have the following financial or other interests in objects or entities mentioned in this paper: (provide specific details)
Required Inclusions for the Short Abstract
- Maximum 250 words, no references, plain text (can be copied from a Word document and pasted into online submission form)
- Research paper: Aim, Method, Results, Conclusion
- Anecdote / personal experience or reflection paper: Content and focus of presentation.
- Product or industry/commercial paper: Main focus and purpose of paper.
Required Inclusions for the Long or Extended Abstract
- Extended Abstract (in PDF format only as electronic upload. Maximum 1000 words, maximum of 10 references, must have declaration of interests statement, must provide a more detailed description of the session contents for the conference proceedings).
- Research paper: Aim, Method, Results, Conclusion, declaration of interests
- Anecdote / personal experience or reflection paper: Content and focus of presentation, declaration of interests
- Product paper: must disclose interests, cannot be only promotional as these are more appropriately displayed and delivered in the Exhibit Hall.
Please Note the Following:
- The Program Committee will make the final decision on allocating all accepted papers to streams and content focus areas.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance by February 15th, 2014.
ISAAC International President: Jeff Riley
ISAAC 2014 Conference Co-Chairs: Luis Azevedo, Margarida Nunes da Ponte, Pedro Encarnação, and Isabel Amaral
Contact Us: conference2014(at)isaac-online.org
You can download the Call for Papers Submission Guidelines here: ISAAC 2014 Paper Submission Guidelines (PDF, 382 kB)